Monday, September 04, 2006

02 September . Rhythmically Speaking

Having heard the weather forecast on Friday night which predicted that the residual effects of Hurricane Ernesto would have passed through the downtown area of Washington DC by Saturday noon and knowing that I wanted to get out side to take some Labor Day Weekend 2006 photos I'd begin my Saturday Labor Day photo project with a series of Shock vs Awe - Naked Truth self-portraits. Weighing heavy on my mind were my experiences from past Labor Days which my Shock vs Awe series sheds light on.

As a documentary photographer my body of work not only documents the times but also attempts to record and tell my story. This new blog, In the Fall of the Year 2006 is a new approach and a gradual progression of my attempt to maintain a means by which I and others will always have easy access to my body of work. In the past, I've attempted to maintain an ongoing archives which is not all that easy when when considering the amount of photography that I do. This blog will attempt to kill several birds with one stone.

And while I would undertake several distinct photo projects on Labor Day Saturday 2006 the above photo will link to all photos that I took on 2 September 2006.

Why Rhythmically Speaking?

I'd begin this blog on 1 September with excerpts from my 1996 "In the Fall of the Year" poem that speaks of rhythmically speaking which sheds light on my ability to 'feel things' on a spirtual level. On Saturday morning, 2 September, waiting for the rain to pass through, from out of the blue I had this strong urge to upload some photos that I took at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on Friday, 26 May 2006 over Memorial Day - Rolling Thunder Weekend.

The pictures that I posted depicted a man that has striking similarites to Jim Moran which is what I would remember when taking the photos on that Friday evening in May. When posting the images this past Saturday I'd reflect on the fact that, in the past, when I have sometimes 'thought of Jim Moran' and on more than one occasion, within days, he and I would cross paths. It is not a feeling that I always get but whe nI get the feeling that I got Saturday morning, sledom does it not occur.

When I took the photos at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on 26 May though Moran came to mind I did not get the feeling that I got on Saturday, 2 September.

When I left my apartment on Saturday afternoon, it was still a bit cloudy and drizzling. For fear of getting caught in a rain storm I decided to go downtown and pick up some office supplies, including ink cartridges for my printer. On the way down and back from Staples at 19th and I Street I'd take photographs. Most of which will eventually be viewed visiting 02-September-2006. Before leaving my apartment I printed out information pertaining to two events that were of interest to me. But, depending on the weather, I would or would not attend.

The first which featured djs was HOUSE MUSIC IN THE PARK at Arlington Gateway wouldtake place from 12 noon to 9 PM at 1300 Lee Highway. I'm a bick fan of DJs and house music so this was my preference. The second option was the Planet Arlington World Music Festival 2006 event at the Iwo Jima Grounds, from 4 to 9 pm. Which was most closer and, certainly, was of interest but reflecting on my experiences on Labor Day Weekend 2003 when I attempted to document the Victims of 911 Walkj of Resilience I had second and third thoughts about attending.

I almost did not make it back home from Staples before another rain pattern would pass through. Once I got home, perhaps, at round 3:30 or so I was content on staying home since it appeared that the residual affects of Ernesto had not pass through as quickly as had been predicted.

Contemplating heading to Safeway to pick up a few things, I'd look out of my window at around 6:15 PM. The sun was out! I'd grab my camera gear and run to the subway with plans of attending the HOUSE MUSIC FESTIVAL. However, while waiting for the subway on the platform at the Waterfront Station I'd try telephone metro information to determine which subway station was nearest to 1400 Lee Highway. The telpehone operator would respond "East Falls Church." When I'd ask how far from the East Falls Church Station was 1300 Lee Highway, she said "... at least, a mile ...".

It was then that I would decide to head out to the Planet Arlington World Music Festival at the Iwo Jima Grounds. I'd take the subway to Rosslyn and board a special green Arlington Arts bus which would take me and others to Iwo Jima. As I walked through the park I'd remember Labor Day Sunday 2003 when I was told when attempting to photograph the Walk of Resilience that the black woman and event organizer said to me "... you're not welcomed ...".

It took some resilience for me, a black man, to return to Iwo Jima Grounds 3 years later to photograph the World Music Festival which, according to its website "... celebrates the communities diversity ...!". A phrase that I always find in sharp contrast to the manners by which I am treated, as black male. As had been my experience when visiting the Iwo Jima Grounds on Labor Day Sunday 2003. And as would be the case when attempting to photograph Barracks Row on Capitol Hill on Labor Day Sunday 2004 when I would be detained at the Navy Yard Detention Center.

Shock vs Awe brings attention to the fact that when people see me photographing the way that I do and with such passion and power, while they are in awe of me, their first, second and last reaction is to negate me. And my photography. As was the case on 4 July 2005 and 4 july 2006 that two different white men who were visiting WDC over the holdiay each would threaten to 'call the police' when I objected to the manner by which they were attempting to provoke me, in confrontation. There attempt was in reaction to my photography.

Imagine what I would go through, over Labor Day of 4 July weekends if I did what my white counter does. And when I say counter part I mean white lovers, white friends and white colleaques.

I'd arrive at Iwo Jima shortly after 8 PM during which time Eileen Ivers and Immigrant Soul were performing. Which, having enjoyed, I will bring attetntion in a seperate posting at my FREEDOM blog. Between sessions when the stage crew prepared for the final and main act, Oliver Mtukudzi & Blackbirds, the organizers would take some time to thank the crowd for their support. And before bringing him to the podium I'd observe Jim Moran in the background. It was then that I knew that everything that had occured throughout the course of the day head lead me to that very moment, in time, when Jim Moran and I would, cross paths.

Rhythmically speaking!

No comments: